View Single Post
Old 30 Jun 17, 16:30
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Reposts of pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakechampainer View Post
The first picture is a picture of my grandmother that my sister found recently. This was when she was in England in the period 1919 - 1920, having gone there from Ireland (Aughrim) to earn money for the trip to NYC where she had relatives. There is handwriting on the back that says "Sylvia aged 1 year 10 months Winnie aged 5 years. May Rose Kelley 19 years." My mother always mentioned London, so I assume the picture was taken in London.

My mother was named Sylvia after the little girl, because my grandmother loved her a lot. My grandmother's age of 19 confirms that it was in the 1919-1920 period.

I wonder how the lives of the two girls went. They theoretically could still be alive, in their 90s.

The second picture is a postcard that says in type at the top "North Hero Volunteer Fire Department, North Hero, Vt." In what I would say is 1950s type. My sister's boyfriend, who is an officer in a Fire Department in a Boston suburb, says that the truck is probably from the 40s, and was probably sold to the dept. after 15 or 20 years of use by a larger dep't. He says his department has sold trucks after 10 or 15 years to a volunteer dep't in Maine. On the back it says "Place one cent stamp here" and "Fairbanks Card Company, 14 High Street, Brookline, MA which is a coincidence, because Brookline is where they lived when they moved to Boston.

I am baffled as to the one cent stamp aspect, as as far as I can tell 1919 was the last time there were one cent post card rates.

My sister also found an US Army Pass ID card of my mother's from 1943. I (i.e. my son) wasn't able to transfer the picture, as it had too much data, a problem I have had on other pictures. My mother told me she had done volunteer air defense work during the war; I wish I had asked her more about it.
EDIT: My son got the ID card picture in by reducing the size of the file (granularity)
The card says:

U. S ARMY PASS No. A 52907
FIRST FIGHTER COMMAND

Region Boston SEP 2 1943
Name Sylvia L. Dubuque
Designation Boston Information Center
Age 18 Weight 108 Height 5' 3"
Color of Hair brown Color of Eyes blue

then my mother's signature

then it says
This Card Must Be Presented When Entering Premises or Whenever Requested At Other Times - Under No Circumstances Shall This Card Be Used By Any Person Other Than The One To Whom It Is Issued.

then it says:

COUNTERSIGNED Richard J. E. Kain

Regional Signal Officer

Wing Signal Officer??

On the back were spaces that said "Paste Photo Here" and "Right Thumb Print" and four other spaces with just the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4

There is a seal embedded in the card - I can't read what it says

Below is a link to the Wikipedia article on I Fighter Command
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Fighter_Command

Below is a link to the Wikipedia article on "(Boston Fighter Wing) - 323rd Air Division"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/323d_Air_Division

I assume that the pass was to the old Boston Army Base in South Boston - which was the center of the Boston Port of Embarkation

Edit: Wikipedia article refers to unit being stationed at "Logan Airport" during this time period
Picture is Repost of first picture - picture of my Grandmother in London circa 1920, with two girls she took care of. My mother was named after the girl Sylvia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010826.jpg (387.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by lakechampainer; 01 Jul 17 at 09:05..
Sponsored Links