View Single Post
Old 17 Jul 14, 11:02
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
Article in today's Salem, MA News - Colonial Fort Sewall Due For Repairs

I can't post a link - I have read my five or whatever free articles for the month or quarter. I'm not a freeloader - I buy the actual paper the majority of days.

Excerpts

MARBLEHEAD - "It was built in 1644," said Marblehead town planner Becky Cutting. "Think of that."

Fort Sewall is one of the oldest surviving forts in the nation and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Its age and its past places a unique responsibility on the town that owns it. Consequently, Marblehead has spent $24,700 for a study on what should be done both to preserve the fort and make the best use of it.

-------------------------------------
The recommendations of the consultants include attending to leaks in the fort's rooms and restoring doors and corroded bars, he said. Also given priority are efforts to make the fort accessible to the handicapped and to keep it safe. More signs telling a little more of the fort's history are also envisioned. Its stone walls are rated as in generally good condition.

"Our primary goal is historic preservation,", Sands said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Any effort to restore the fort involves deciding which era it should reflect. And Cutting said it ought to tell just how menacing a defense it offered, as the site was often bristling with 12 cannons. At the moment, she said, "You get no sense of that."