View Single Post
Old 02 Mar 12, 04:47
Banned
South_Vietnam

Phieu is on the path to success [1-99] Phieu is on the path to success [1-99] Phieu is on the path to success [1-99] Phieu is on the path to success [1-99] Phieu is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirelou View Post
As to Vietnamese-Vietnamese food, Mr. Phieu presumes too much. In 1982 I ate at a "Chinese" restaurant in Casper (or Sheridan?) Wyoming whose very name tipped me off. It was the "Mekong". The owner was pure Vietnamese. But as he explained it, he only served Vietnamese fare on weekends because everyone in town expected Chinese fare, and that was what they were willing to pay for. To the public, Vietnamese was too exotic, but "Chinese" was something they knew and expected. Egg rolls, fried rice, and lots of sweet sauces for dipping. Alas, the American public is not into 100 year old duck eggs, ...yet.
I am not sure your guy is pure Vietnamese.
In any eventuality,
- if he served Cantonese style dishes, then a pure Cantonese would know it was not authentic Cantonese cuisine;
- if he served Fukien style dishes, then a pure Fukienese would know it was not authentic Fukien cuisine;
- if he served Zhechuan style dishes, then a pure Zhechuanese would know it was not authentic Zhechuan cuisine;
- if he served Shanghai style dishes, then a pure Shanghainese would know it was not authentic Shanghai cuisine;
- etc.
For you that day, Lirelou, you enjoyed Chinese Mekong style dishes ...

P.S. My wife and I went to each at Shun Lee Restaurant located at the Columbus Circle (Manhattan), a very expensive restaurant catering the upper-class New Yorkers (we could afford it because it was New York Restaurant Week with discount prices). My wife complained here oranged favor beef dish did not taste Chinese at all and thought the restaurant might recently hire an inexperienced chef. The maître d' explained that the chef cook has been here for the last 30 years and he has been cooked the same way since; it just that he has to cater to the American palates that prefer the beef very salty and extra crispy ...

A word of advise: next time, when you go to get some authentic Chinese (Cantonese, Fukien, Zchezuan, Shanghai, etc) food, look first and only go in if you don't see any American seating in there, just Chinese patrons.

Last edited by Phieu; 02 Mar 12 at 05:21..
Sponsored Links