View Single Post
Old 01 Mar 12, 13:52
First Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99] Dunnigan is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phieu View Post
I don't think it's something you can define. You have to be a Vietnamese to know or rather to feel if an alleged Vietnamese dish served is authentic Vietnamese or not. Of course, there are instances an exceptional non Vietnamese chef cook can come up with an "authentic" Vietnamese dish. But that is rather rare.

In New York City, when I am asked, "where can I go to have an authentic Vietnamese food", I don't send him/her to Vietnamese restaurants in Chinatown. I am only sure about Le Colonial on 57th street and Lexington Avenue. Not even to Indochine which serves rather Cambodian-Vietnamese dishes, although it's excellent food, just not authentic Vietnamese.

Also in New York Ciy - and it should be the sam in other cities of the USA - the majority of sushi restaurants are run not by Japanese but by Chinese and Vietnamese. My tongue can't tell the difference - especially the food is served uncooked - but I bet you a Japanese's tongue certainly can!
Agreed. There's no true Vietnamese restaurant in New York, but the food is still damn good on Baxter St. in Chinatown! The best Vietnamese food I've had in the states was in Nashville, TN, where there was a strip mall fully occupied by Vietnamese restaurants, markets, and import/export... truly authentic Vietnamese-Vietnamese. I figure there's a lot of good places in Minnesota and Houston, where there's a large Vietnamese immigrant population.