View Single Post
Old 26 Feb 12, 08:32
Major General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Scott Fraser is simply cracking [600]
Scott Fraser is simply cracking [600] Scott Fraser is simply cracking [600] Scott Fraser is simply cracking [600] Scott Fraser is simply cracking [600] Scott Fraser is simply cracking [600] Scott Fraser is simply cracking [600] Scott Fraser is simply cracking [600] Scott Fraser is simply cracking [600] Scott Fraser is simply cracking [600] Scott Fraser is simply cracking [600] Scott Fraser is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metryll View Post
Even if one doesn't subscribe to an 'evil commie plot', it's hard to assume that Stalin motive were only about USSR's security. Throwing away counter argument as Cold war relics is a thing, rebutting all argument against Stalin as such is another.
Stalin is one of the villains of the last century, but I don't believe the legends, either as supreme leader or arch-enemy of the western world. He is a very complex character, and I think it is an oversimplification to ascribe everything he did as some vague quest to spread communism or build an empire. I don't think it's true, either. 'Stalinism' contradicted many fundamental Marxist-Leninist tenets, including internationalism. Stalin's primary motive, IMHO, was the security of Josef Stalin and the USSR, in that order.

Quote:
By 1941, Soviet Army shown more than once that it was pretty capable to match the Germans. Like French Army in 1940, most of disasters came from high command.
I have some Russian books about different engagements in 1941. Men will fight bravely with the tools they have, but overall the Red Army collapsed for a host of reasons above the pay grade of the field commanders. They were able to trade space for time and rally by the end of 1941, which says something for the value of 'buffer states', eh?

Regards
Scott Fraser