View Single Post
Old 19 Feb 12, 15:36
Major General
Pirate
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200] dutched is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetzer 15 View Post
They would have been able to take Sevastopol without the GIANT seige guns! There contribution was small, other than an ammo dump being hit, and some other near misses. Those guns like MIGHTY Gustav and Dora and others were a huge waste of precoius resources and could have been used for Panzer 4's or Tigers or something.

It has been stated in a few books and publications that the Gustav may have actually cost Germany the war, beacuse of the manpower and materials it took for the gun.

5,000 men needed to protect and man it.
5 Whole trainsloads of peices to put together(on a supply line that was already overstretched!!)gun tube truinions etc.
Air Cover for the gun and gun crew
its own comm. center and security net
An AA unit
Over 150 trucks for the supply lines!
Months and months of building prepared positions
The shells for it had to be specially made and the gun itself was very very costly!

IDK, I also read that for the metal and money put into the gun, you could have had 50 Tiger Tanks! That would have maybe turned the tide at Kursk or helped turn a battle from a defeat into a victory!
I have taken all you have said on board.
I still think that you need something more powerful than just a large tank to do destroy the structure of fortresses Sevastopol style.
Simple question:
If ordinary guns could do the job of pulverising a fortress, why were siege guns developed.
Simple answer: Ordinary guns just cannot do the job.
Please note: I say destroy I am not talking about taking.

The Brits would eventually drop a few chests of drawers to do such a the job.
However the Germans did not have such weapons, what they thought they needed was something they knew would work from past experience and because they were not allowed to have any under the rulings of the Versailles treaty. They would just have some.
Enter the monster guns.

Ed.