View Single Post
Old 19 Feb 11, 08:23
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900]
hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900]
It really sticks in my craw when I hear folks call Grant "butcher", especially when you look through the statistics of all of his battles. He wasn't out trying to get his men killed-he was simply one of those men who understood what needed to be done to win. In the case of the 64 campaign where he suffered his greatest casualties, he was relying on his subordinate commanders to do what they were supposed to so that the men wouldn't have to suffer as much. Had Hunter done what he was supposed to in the Valley & (more importantly), had Butler taken Petersburg when he was supposed to, the 64 campaign would have gone a lot smoother for Grant & his men. The failure of those 2 generals cost the Union thousands more men than it should have & put the war off from being won by almost a year.

I would essentially agree with Bonekemper.