View Single Post
Old 18 Feb 11, 22:40
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400]
MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400]
It's my understanding that the fortifications built by both sides contributed mightily to the casualty counts. No marching army stopped for the night without some sort of "digging in". And once Grant faced Lee in Virginia, the works in front of Richmond were formidable. IIRC, Grant tried to flank the works repeatedly, but Lee was able to use interior lines to move troops to the trouble spots rapidly and meet the threat. This caused Grants attacks to become frontal assaults, thus the high casualties.

As for Lee's conduct, offensive or defensive, finer minds than mine haven't been able to come to a conclusion. It would seem that extended operations in the North, by a Southern army, might have put the Unions resolve to continue the fight to the test. I just think that by the time this realization was made by the South, the moment for action on it had long since passed. Lee's efforts were valiant, but doomed.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967