View Single Post
Old 30 Nov 10, 23:10
Brigadier General
United_States

The Highwayman has demonstrated strength of character [100] The Highwayman has demonstrated strength of character [100] The Highwayman has demonstrated strength of character [100] The Highwayman has demonstrated strength of character [100] The Highwayman has demonstrated strength of character [100] The Highwayman has demonstrated strength of character [100] The Highwayman has demonstrated strength of character [100] The Highwayman has demonstrated strength of character [100] The Highwayman has demonstrated strength of character [100] The Highwayman has demonstrated strength of character [100] The Highwayman has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Your post is wrong in so many ways that I do not even know where to start. The German victory at Teutoburg Forest accomplished what? Aside from making the Romans decide that Germania was not worth the trouble, virtually nothing.
The victory was a successful and brilliant defensive victory that decimated (pun intended) three legions.

Quote:
The Persians defeated multiple Roman Emperors! I don't know what version of history you read but it seems to me that, at the very least, the Romans gave as good as they received and perhaps better.
The Persians defeated emperors Gordian III, Phillip and Valerian, all under a single Persian ruler Shapur I; which makes me rather skeptical of the idea that the Roman Empire was the "greatest military of the ancient world."

Quote:
The most overrated and horrible civilization?
That isn't what I posted; I wrote that Rome was "perhaps one of the most overrated and horrible civilizations" I don't deny Roman achievements (Rome certainly was culturally superior to the Ottoman Empire) yet Rome has been overrated, the popular stereotype of Rome ignores the negative side of Roman history. And yes Rome had it's share of horrors:

Quote:
"Beasts were specially trained to copulate with women: if the girls or women were unwilling then the animal would attempt rape. A surprising range of creatures was used for such purposes - bulls, giraffes, leopards, cheetahs, wild boar, zebras, stallions, jackasses, huge dogs, apes, etc. The beasts were taught how to copulate with a human being [whether male or female] either via the vagina or via the anus." Representations of scenes from the sexual lives of the gods, such as PasiphaŽ and the Bull, were highly popular, often causing extreme suffering, injury or death. On occasion, the more ferocious beasts were permitted to kill and (if desired) devour their victims afterwards.[8] Chimpanzees and mandrills, both in fact ferocious and very powerful species of primate: "made drunk by wine and inflamed by the odor of females of their kind, were loosed upon girls whose genitals had been drenched with the urine of female chimps and mandrills." The victims were often virgins and not infrequently young children. One spectacle is said to have included "a hundred tiny blonde girls being raped simultaneously by a horde of baboons."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histori...ia#Ancient.2C_
Greek_and_Roman

Quote:
Just what alphabet do you think that we are using just for starters?
Once again, I don't deny Roman achievements.

Quote:
Did you know that the word justice is the derivation of the name of a Roman emperor?
That's hardly an achievement and the Roman version of justice was anything but just.

Quote:
Does the Roman arch ring a bell?
Roman architecture is Greek in origin.

Quote:
The names of our months; July for the Julian emperors, August for Augustus just to name two.
Hardly a significant contribution.

"Ah, 'tis midsummer madness, the music is my temples, the hot blood of youth! Come, Kapellmeister, let the violas throb. My regiment leaves at dawn!"
-Groucho Marx

Last edited by The Highwayman; 30 Nov 10 at 23:17..