Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History

Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Russia, Central Asia, and The Caucasus (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=310)
-   -   Russian orphanages and Orphans (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135222)

Erkki 21 Apr 13 05:38

Russian orphanages and Orphans

Quote:

Russian Orphanage Head Probed Over Teen Slave Labor

MOSCOW/ ORENBURG, April 16 (RIA Novosti) - Russian investigators have opened a criminal case against an orphanage director suspected of exploiting teenagers in her care as unpaid laborers, officials said on Tuesday.
RIA

Erkki 21 Apr 13 05:39

Quote:

Taking Care of Orphans Is ‘National Task’ - Medvedev

MOSCOW, April 17 (RIA Novosti) – Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said on Wednesday that taking care of orphans was a “national task” that the country should solve on its own.

“Last year, 44,000 parents were deprived of their parental rights for various reasons. We must try to change this situation,” the prime minister said during a speech to the lower chamber of the Russian parliament, the State Duma.

RIA

Erkki 21 Apr 13 05:50

Quote:

Russian, US Officials Meet on Adoptions

WASHINGTON, April 17 (By Maria Young for RIA Novosti) – Russian and US officials met here Wednesday to discuss adoption issues in the wake of Russia’s ban on adoptions of Russian children by US citizens, officials said.

The meeting was requested by the United States, and the Russian delegation to the talks was led by Konstantin Dolgov, the human rights ombudsman for the Russian Foreign Ministry, a US State Department spokesman said.

Details on what was discussed were not immediately available after the meeting, which was also attended by officials from the departments of State, Homeland Security, Justice and Health and Human Services, the official said.

RIA

Erkki 21 Apr 13 05:51

Quote:

Russia, US Agree to Set Up Adoptee Working Group - Ombudsman

MOSCOW, April 17 (RIA Novosti) - Russia and the United States have agreed in principle to establish a bilateral working group to monitor the way adopted children from Russia are treated in American families, Russia’s children’s rights ombudsman Pavel Astakhov said on Twitter Wednesday.

“The working group will gather twice a year in turn in the United States and Russia,” Astakhov tweeted. “It will consider both urgent problems and investigations and systemic current issues.”
RIA

joea 22 Apr 13 10:25

Well I hope things will get easier for Russian couples seeking to adopt and the system gets cleaned up. I hope.

Erkki 22 Apr 13 11:11

I believe most here do. I donīt offer my opinion so often these days but if anything good has come out of this whole thing, starting somewhere with the magnitsky list it is to highlight the issues with the Russian system. Something that should have been done much earlier.

Erkki 28 Apr 13 12:35

Duma Ratifies Child Abuse Convention

Erkki 08 May 13 05:35

Quote:

Russian Children’s Home Head Found Guilty of Child Abuse

MOSCOW, April 29 (RIA Novosti) – A court has found the director of a children’s home in central-west Russia guilty of child abuse and given him a three-year suspended prison sentence, the Investigative Committee said Monday.

Martin Sargsyan, head of Children's Home Number 1 in the Vladimir Region city of Murom, has been convicted of using violent methods against teenagers, including throwing wooden or iron chairs, books and other objects at them, the committee said in a statement.
RIA