Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History

Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/index.php)
-   East Asia and the Pacific (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=347)
-   -   Oh what a hell of a mess (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175604)

MarkV 30 Jan 17 06:48

Oh what a hell of a mess

The war against drugs in the Philippines has been halted to concentrate on a war against the police!

Quote:

Philippine police are suspending their controversial war on drugs until after the "corrupt" police force has been "cleansed".
Police Chief Ronald dela Rosa said on Monday that anti-drug units would be dissolved.
It comes after the murder of a South Korean businessman inside police headquarters. He had been kidnapped and killed by anti-drug police.
More than 7,000 people have been killed since the crackdown on drugs began.
The death toll and President Rodrigo Duterte's hardline stance against drugs have attracted intense criticism from human rights groups and Western countries, although the president continues to enjoy a high level of support among Filipinos.
Speaking on Monday, Mr Dela Rosa said Mr Duterte "told us to clean the organisation first".
But who cleans up a corrupt police force? As Lenin once said "A corpse cannot bury itself"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38793008

GMan88 30 Jan 17 19:38

They'll be forming a task force to go after scalawags.

Cult Icon 31 Jan 17 02:56

Too much crack sprinkling on corpses apparently..

MarkV 31 Jan 17 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMan88 (Post 3321586)
They'll be forming a task force to go after scalawags.

And who checks the membership of the task force?

sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? But who can watch the watchmen?

The Exorcist 31 Jan 17 15:00

How demented do you have to be to call a campaign against corruption as a "war" against the Police?

Don't any of you people believe that fighting corruption could be a good thing?!?

MarkV 31 Jan 17 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Exorcist (Post 3322020)
How demented do you have to be to call a campaign against corruption as a "war" against the Police?

Don't any of you people believe that fighting corruption could be a good thing?!?

Not so deranged as someone who doesn't recognise the irony of using a corrupt police force to carry out an illegal campaign of summary executions only to have to halt it because the police involved are the bigger criminals.

GMan88 01 Feb 17 01:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkV (Post 3321762)
And who checks the membership of the task force?

sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? But who can watch the watchmen?

The head of the task force has already been appointed by the chief PNP.

The PNP is a 150,000 strong (more or less) organization, and the chief has only been serving 6 months. Give him time. Personally, I wish he'd reform the NAPOLCOM national police commission, where complaints are heard and decided on (usually years).

Moulin 04 Feb 17 12:36

plus they have a problem with the communist rebels? I'd say a big mess

GMan88 04 Feb 17 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moulin (Post 3324079)
plus they have a problem with the communist rebels? I'd say a big mess

Yeah. The basTArds canceled the ceasefire, despite the fact that there's an ongoing 3rd round of peace talk in Netherlands, with the first two rounds going well. And to think every administration the church always says "give peace a chance".

Moulin 04 Feb 17 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMan88 (Post 3324137)
Yeah. The basTArds canceled the ceasefire, despite the fact that there's an ongoing 3rd round of peace talk in Netherlands, with the first two rounds going well. And to think every administration the church always says "give peace a chance".

you are there? wow....how long have the rebels been active? pretty long, yes?
I take it, they have dug dealings? any US help?

GMan88 04 Feb 17 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moulin (Post 3324152)
you are there? wow....how long have the rebels been active? pretty long, yes?
I take it, they have dug dealings? any US help?

Not drug dealings, but extortion and other criminal activities. War has been going on decades, and there was high hopes with this current administration who's members some are considered friends by the rebel groups (including MILF).

GMan88 04 Feb 17 20:50

They're crazy as they expected our government to release all 400 something "political" prisoners (arrested on criminal, not political charges though, the only political is their affiliation) while talks are ongoing.

Moulin 05 Feb 17 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMan88 (Post 3324234)
They're crazy as they expected our government to release all 400 something "political" prisoners (arrested on criminal, not political charges though, the only political is their affiliation) while talks are ongoing.

...I think it is 'amazing' to see this in the year 2017--but I think it reinforces what I've said in the OverLooked Aspects thread and not surprising to me
... they are really rebels? and as such that is not against the law? their crimes were not for rebellion type ?
thanks for your replies

GMan88 06 Feb 17 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moulin (Post 3324434)
...I think it is 'amazing' to see this in the year 2017--but I think it reinforces what I've said in the OverLooked Aspects thread and not surprising to me
... they are really rebels? and as such that is not against the law? their crimes were not for rebellion type ?
thanks for your replies

They might have started off as rebels, with some members joining due to perceived lack of justice from abusive government officials. But that was a long long time ago. More and more, their activities are looked on as merely criminal ("revolutionary tax" or your equipment get torched that kind of thing).

Leanh 06 Feb 17 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMan88 (Post 3324664)
They might have started off as rebels, with some members joining due to perceived lack of justice from abusive government officials. But that was a long long time ago. More and more, their activities are looked on as merely criminal ("revolutionary tax" or your equipment get torched that kind of thing).

Sorry if I'm being rude, but I really don't understand how come after all that time your government still can't clean up this tiny force once and for all? You even have the US 's support while they have none?
IMHO, they must have some support from the people in order to survive that long.