Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History

Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Board & Tabletop Gaming (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=231)
-   -   Old AH Games (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57069)

Kevin Kenneally 07 Nov 07 12:48

Old AH Games

I want to know what old Avalon Hill games people are still playing.

I still enjoy playing "Blitzkrieg" with a good opponent.

Even after a few beers, it can be very entertaining.:love:

Freightshaker 07 Nov 07 13:18

I still have Panzerblitz/leader, Squad Leader, Tac Air, and The Russian Campaign on the bookshelf. My ASL stuff is packed up in boxes, aging gracefully. It's still fun to set up TRC and try different opening moves. Of course with any game I have the most fun setting up. I use to set up major battles on the RB1 map but never play them. I'd also put 6-9 SL boards together and set up Bn sized games.

Kevin Kenneally 07 Nov 07 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by freightshaker (Post 793167)
I still have Panzerblitz/leader, Squad Leader, Tac Air, and The Russian Campaign on the bookshelf. My ASL stuff is packed up in boxes, aging gracefully. It's still fun to set up TRC and try different opening moves. Of course with any game I have the most fun setting up. I use to set up major battles on the RB1 map but never play them. I'd also put 6-9 SL boards together and set up Bn sized games.

Got ya beat.

Set up all of my SL/ASL mapboards (over 120) in my two car garage.....

Look very interesting terrain, until my wife wanted to drive inside the garage......

Took me "several minutes" to "clear the battle field.

Got a HUGE scenario I designed for Aug 1943, "Heavy Metal Thunder" I call it.

Two Russian Armor Brigades against a German Mk IV Tank Company (6th Panzer Div) and a Tiger Company (-) (Gross Deutschland Div), on 15 mapboards.

The victory conditons are "Russians must exits 21 AFVs off west edge of boards.

Awesome.

Duncan 07 Nov 07 14:11

I played Waterloo (mid to late 1960s) until last year. I got tired of the formula Allied victory.

I still play PanzerBlitz by mail on occasion.

I belong to the Vancouver ASL league. Although I haven't had time for a game in quite a while. I'm hoping to get in a couple at next weekend's convention.

I have a bunch of other stuff on the shelf. Tac Air, Gulf Strike (pre Desert Shield expansion), Panzer Leader, the 60's version of D-Day, Wooden Ships and Iron Men, One Page Bulge, a few others.

Kevin Kenneally 07 Nov 07 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan (Post 793194)
I played Waterloo (mid to late 1960s) until last year. I got tired of the formula Allied victory.

I still play PanzerBlitz by mail on occasion.

I belong to the Vancouver ASL league. Although I haven't had time for a game in quite a while. I'm hoping to get in a couple at next weekend's convention.

I have a bunch of other stuff on the shelf. Tac Air, Gulf Strike (pre Desert Shield expansion), Panzer Leader, the 60's version of D-Day, Wooden Ships and Iron Men, One Page Bulge, a few others.

Duncan,

You are good in my book.

Played Gulf Strike very often until my Apple IIe crashed three years ago.

I have not played WS&IM, but have heard nothing but great things about it.

Janos 07 Nov 07 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Kenneally (Post 793149)

My boy and I have played Blitzkrieg as an intro to boardgaming. We have also played Gettysburg (I still have the old version with squares instead of hexes).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sburg_game.jpg

My whole family plays Emperor of China from time to time, but I'm not sure if that's AH or not.

Freightshaker 07 Nov 07 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Kenneally (Post 793189)
Got ya beat.

Set up all of my SL/ASL mapboards (over 120) in my two car garage...

Wow, I usually used my dad's pooltable and could leave it set up for awhile to tinker with.

Kevin Kenneally 07 Nov 07 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by freightshaker (Post 793243)
Wow, I usually used my dad's pooltable and could leave it set up for awhile to tinker with.

I wish........

Duncan 07 Nov 07 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Kenneally (Post 793209)
Duncan,

You are good in my book.

Played Gulf Strike very often until my Apple IIe crashed three years ago.

I have not played WS&IM, but have heard nothing but great things about it.

This Gulf Stike. We used to have a regularly Friday night session to play the big scenarios.

http://members.aol.com/gamestergames/vgglfstr.jpg

Scout32 07 Nov 07 20:25

The only AH board game I have left is Fortress Europa.In a past life Ihad Panzer Blitz,Panzer Leader,Squad Leader and it's add-ons,WS&IM,Third Reich,Submarine,Guns of August,Afrika Korps,The Russian Campaign,Kriegspiel,and my very first wargame;Blitzkrieg.

Patrick Carroll 08 Nov 07 10:30

I have fond memories of 'em, but that's all that's left. Sold all my AH games (and a huge collection of "The General") about seven years ago when I was moving. Knew I'd never play 'em again, and couldn't see hanging on to 'em just for nostalgia's sake.

dgfred 08 Nov 07 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Kenneally (Post 793149)

Even after a few beers, it can be very entertaining.:love:

I played The Russian Campaign for years by mail, now I only play Panzerblitz/
PanzerLeader by e-mail and mail :cool: .

Duncan 08 Nov 07 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgfred (Post 793624)
I played The Russian Campaign for years by mail, now I only play Panzerblitz/
PanzerLeader by e-mail and mail :cool: .

L2 Desing Group puts out a 4th edition Russian Campaign. It's quite expensive though.

AH is taking pre-orders for PanzerBlitz. It's only vaguely looks like the old version.

Janos 08 Nov 07 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Carroll (Post 793577)
I have fond memories of 'em, but that's all that's left. Sold all my AH games (and a huge collection of "The General") about seven years ago when I was moving. Knew I'd never play 'em again, and couldn't see hanging on to 'em just for nostalgia's sake.

It's sad when that happens. I gave away hundreds of Rocco mini-tanks about 20 years ago...all painted and ready for wargaming. I had evolved out of WW2 and into medievals (where I remain) and they were just taking up space.

Patrick Carroll 08 Nov 07 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janos (Post 793653)
It's sad when that happens. I gave away hundreds of Rocco mini-tanks about 20 years ago...all painted and ready for wargaming. I had evolved out of WW2 and into medievals (where I remain) and they were just taking up space.

I've heard stories like that from miniaturists for decades. They worried me so much that I never actually got into minis. Wanted to, but never could quite decide what period I was really interested in -- enough to dedicate my life (or some big portion of it) to.

So, I'd collect a few sample sets of figures, as well as some rules. And once or twice I got as far as painting a few figures. But that's as far as it went. I still have a box of figures in a closet, mostly unpainted.

I suppose it's just as well, though. I've never really been into craft or modeling at all. Hated painting miniatures! And I was always tempted to do something drastic and abstract, like spray-paint armies in solid colors and be done with it. I actually preferred the look of solid-color figures most of the time. Which, once again, points to the fact that I'm not a modeler. Real minimen love detail; I was always content with abstraction.

Even board wargames grew too detailed for my liking after a while. Especially games like ASL. On one hand I could appreciate the "realism," but OTOH it made me want to throw up my hands and just go play chess.