Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History

Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Africa (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=356)
-   -   Royal Navy shoots dead Somali pirate suspects off coast of Yemen. (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70170)

Doctor Sinister 12 Nov 08 18:29

Royal Navy shoots dead Somali pirate suspects off coast of Yemen.

The Royal Navy has repelled a pirate attack on a Danish cargo ship off the coast of Yemen, shooting dead two men believed to be Somali pirates.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) confirmed the incident took place on Tuesday, when HMS Cumberland crew members tried to board a traditional wooden dhow.

Linky.

A DANISH cargo ship? I'm telling you now, if the Somali pirates are trying to take my LEGO - it's WAR.

Dr. S.

BriteLite 12 Nov 08 18:58

The World has needed to make a statement to the thieves. I am thankful no RN personell were harmed. Good news and good show RN!:salute:

Fire when ready DR.S.

Bass_Man86 12 Nov 08 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor Sinister (Post 1040447)
The Royal Navy has repelled a pirate attack on a Danish cargo ship off the coast of Yemen, shooting dead two men believed to be Somali pirates.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) confirmed the incident took place on Tuesday, when HMS Cumberland crew members tried to board a traditional wooden dhow.

Linky.

A DANISH cargo ship? I'm telling you now, if the Somali pirates are trying to take my LEGO - it's WAR.

Dr. S.

It almost makes up for that embarrassing incident with the Iranians a few months back.

the_redstar_swl 12 Nov 08 19:52

Quote:

Royal Navy shoots dead Somali pirate suspects off coast of Yemen.
"Hey, Those corpses look like the guys we're hunting." *BRAKA-BRAKA-BRAKA*

lcm1 12 Nov 08 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor Sinister (Post 1040447)

Linky.

Dr. S.

Good on yer R.N. thats more like it!!

GCoyote 12 Nov 08 21:07

Freakin' Zombies

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_redstar_swl (Post 1040575)
"Hey, Those corpses look like the guys we're hunting." *BRAKA-BRAKA-BRAKA*

Can't get away from 'em no matter where you go. :smoke:

As to the original post - good work gents.

The Exorcist 12 Nov 08 21:39

Nice work, but it will take more.

I wonder if its time for naval Mercenaries to make an appearance... refurbush an old Destroyer and go in harm's way?

AThousandYoung 13 Nov 08 01:38

Autoduel naval style!

lcm1 13 Nov 08 03:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by AThousandYoung (Post 1040939)
Autoduel naval style!

Yes, how about a drive by shooting?Or should I have said a STEAR by shooting?

Galland 13 Nov 08 07:14

hopefully this signifies that the pirate threat will not be tolerated, and that we will defend the free passage of ships in international waters, by force if necessary..

...nice work, Royal Navy..!

cst784 13 Nov 08 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exorcist (Post 1040699)

I wonder if its time for naval Mercenaries to make an appearance... refurbush an old Destroyer and go in harm's way?

Are you thinking of something along the lines of Letters of Marque and Reprisal which are still doable under Article 1 Section of the US Constitution?

CCWO 13 Nov 08 13:12

With about 2000 miles of Somali coastline and who know how far out to sea, it will be difficult to patrol. Of course, we could go back to WW2 tactics and start a convoy system to protect shipping. The ultimate goal should be the installation of a strong central government in Somalia.

frisco17 13 Nov 08 15:03

Nice work Royal Navy!

Listy 13 Nov 08 15:55

On the subject at hand. It's going to be more interesting to see what happens to the Pirates who where arrested. This wasn't the type 22 under fire, these where sea boats crewed by RM trying to board the Pirate vessel. Should have just employed a few 4.5" rounds and solved allot of problems.

PS:
Indians Vs Pirates

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exorcist (Post 1040699)

The idea has been floated before. The Problem lies with the international Maritime laws on armaments. In which if a ship docks in a port, or enters a countries territorial waters, it must first obey all that countries laws of firearms, and have all the necessary paper work. God help you if you get lost! Although that said I don't think the countries along that stretch of the coast are going to complain too loudly.

Erkki 13 Nov 08 18:23

http://www.russiatoday.com/news/news/33238
http://www.russiatoday.com/news/news/33184