Pages Menu

Categories Menu

Posted on Sep 16, 2007 in Armchair Reading, Front Page Features

Gen Con UK 2007

Armchair General

It’s really rather cool to be given an assignment to attend a gaming convention, especially when it’s happening right on your doorstep.  Gen Con UK 2007 was held on the grounds of Reading University from 30th August to 2nd September 2007 – literally half an hour’s drive from my home and what better way to spend a Sunday afternoon?

As it happens, I encountered more than I bargained for at a games convention, even though I only popped along for the last day, and for the icing on the cake, I was able to grab some freebies so those of you reading can enter a free prize draw!

Of course, the convention was filled with colourful characters, traders and gamers, although the first two "people" I met guarding the entrances weren’t actually alive…

{default}

gencon_001.JPG  gencon_002.JPG
Click the thumbnails for larger images

Spread across several buildings on campus, there were various rooms set aside for gamers, some of whom were kind enough to allow me to take some photos as they pondered their next strategies…

gencon_023.JPG  gencon_024.JPG
gencon_025.JPG  gencon_026.JPG

Below, the game Settlers of Cataan is laid out and ready for a free demo’.  Hailing from Germany, this multiplayer board game sees settlers attempting to establish colonies on the eponymous isle – which is made up of a series of hexagonal tiles which are laid out randomly at the start of each game – to ensure that no two games are ever the same!  Each type of terrain produces a different type of resource for exploitation.  Visit the game’s website here.

gencon_068.JPG

[continued on next page]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11